Helpful Restoration Tips
Some of the experts here at ServiceMaster Fire & Water Restoration, have compiled a few tips on how to go about fire and water damages while waiting for the professionals to arrive.
Please remember to exercise tremendous caution when following or applying these tips, as damages may occur if not done delicately or correctly. If you are unsure of your abilities, simply do not attempt anything and wait for the professionals to arrive.
Fire Damage Tips:
- Delicately brush vacuum excess soot from furnishings and fabric materials.
- Wipe off smoke residue from leaves of plants or flowers.
- Avoid permanent tarnishing of Formica, metallic, and porcelain fixtures in bathrooms and kitchens by wiping off soot and smoke residue.
- Use a tarp or plastic sheets to cover floors, preventing additional accumulation of dirt and soil.
- Dispose of any open packaged food items, as they will most likely be contaminated.
- Cover intake and outlet air ducts with a damp cheesecloth or any other fine fabric material to capture excess soot that was loose and may have entered the duct system.
- If the outside temperature permits, open all windows, doors, and drawers to aerate.
Water Damage Tips:
- Remove as much of the excess standing water as possible using a mop or by some other means.
- Wipe furniture of any water.
- Remove and hang dry draperies.
- Remove wet or damp rugs to dry.
- Move paper items to a safe dry location.
- If weather permits, open windows and doors to help the drying process.
- If safe, use fans and humidifiers to assist the drying process.
Mold Remediation Tips:
- Drying of wet building materials within 24 hours generally won’t have mold growth.
- When visible mold is present, removal or decontamination is needed.
- If possible, seal and quarantine mold growths to prevent mold spores from being released.